No. 304, April 2018
On the Cover: Jazz Guitar, Then & Now special focus includes a feature on a century of the players and instruments of acoustic guitar in jazz; and five modern masters (Mimi Fox, Ron Jackson, Julian Lage, Sean McGowan, Matt Munisteri, Frank Vignola) on ways to embellish rhythm changes.
- Traditional - “St. Louis Blues”
- Eddie Lang - “A Little Love, A Little Kiss” (Reader’s Pick)
- Julian Lage - “Day and Age”
- Vintage Fiddle Tune - “New River Train”
Once a prodigy, Julian Lage is now a powerful force in the guitar world; The Lead Guitar program brings guitar education to underserved communities; Joe Henry talks about his favorite guitar; George Lowden talks about four decades of building his distinctive guitars; Mamie Minch on commissioning the right repair for your guitar; A look at a 1932 Gibson L-10.
- Play the blues like Jimmy Page
- Jazz Primer: Applying jazz concepts to whatever you play
- Martin Model America 1 and “re-imagined” D-28
- Collings OM1 JL Julian Lage Signature
- Gth7 Heritage yolk-style capo