No. 290, February 2017
On the Cover: Austin electric-guitar phenom Eric Johnson unplugs on his new album, EJ, and goes on a journey to self-realization.
- Elizabeth Cotton - “Shake Sugaree”
- Richard Shindell - “Your Guitar."
Features: David Bromberg finds his way back to the blues, completing his long, slow trek back to the music he left abruptly 27 years ago. Explore tenors and other voices, which are drawing a cadre of fans for their ability to add color to performances and recordings. Ben Harper talks about his life-long passion for Weissenborn guitars.
- Improve your acoustic rock rhythm playing
- Master artificial harmonics, in the style of Chet Atkins and Lenny Breau
- Add Mixolydian mode to your improvisation toolbox
Plus: Becky Warren finds inspiration for her new concept album in the ashes of war; 5 tips for musicians who want to get the most from social media; Richard Shindell finds his voice amid the crowded landscape of his songs; Peter Mulvey explains how to create a dynamic solo sound with alternate tunings.