No. 219 March 2011
On the Cover: The Avett Brothers. The North Carolina siblings on their influences, songwriting collaborations, and how switching instruments can make a song blossom.
- Dewey Bunnell – "Horse with No Name"
- Bill Withers – "Ain't No Sunshine"
- Arrangement by Andrew DuBrock – "Sweet Sunny South"
Features: Four decades into building his unique custom guitars, James Goodall is making his most refined instruments ever; Everything you need to know to order your dream guitar; Giving Tree Band. Rootsy, timeless acoustic music from an eight-piece ensemble with a focus on sustainable living; How a Guitar Can be Re-Topped. Replacing a top for repair or tonal alteration; Must-Know Bluegrass Vocabulary. A guide to practical licks every flatpicker should know.
- Evan Hirschelman Lesson. The classical guitarist explains how he integrates slurs, arpeggios, and large interval leaps into his compositions.
- Record on an iPhone. Improve the recording quality of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch with these dedicated recording apps and mics.
- Play Leads with Arpeggios. Open up your lead playing by integrating arpeggios into the mix, just like the guitarists in the Allman.
- Huss and Dalton DS-12 Custom
- Luna Vicki Genfan Signature Model