No. 222, June 2011
On the Cover: Peter Rowan. The legendary guitarist pays homage to mentor Bill Monroe while refining his own brand of bluegrass.
- Ron Wood and Ronnie Lane – "Ooh La La"
- Arrangement by Scott Nygaard – "Down in the Valley to Pray"
- Arrangement by Martin Tallstrom – "A Whiter Shade of Pale"
Features: Steve James. The country blues guitarist on lessons he learned from blues and fingerpicking masters like Mississippi John Hurt, Sam McGee, Furry Lewis, Bukka White, and others. Plus, the guitars and gear of Steve James; New Gear 2011. The latest guitars, amplification, gear, and accessories; Jeffrey Foucault. The rootsy singer-songwriter finds inspiration for his solo work in collaborations with poet Lisa Olstein and musicians Peter Mulvey and Kris Delmhorst; John Mello Guitars. San Francisco Bay Area luthier specializes in the fusion of classical and steel-string designs.
- Crafting Band Arrangements Lesson. National flatpicking champion Matt Arcara talks about creating subtle backdrops for Joy Kills Sorrow's eclectic songs.
- Deconstructing Sus Chords Lesson. Learn the easy music theory behind chord suspension and resolution.
- Embellishing a Melody. Add rhythmic and tonal variations to your lead lines.
- Takamine TF77-PT
- Tanglewood Dreadnought TRD-VS-E
- Humphrey Espresso Amp