No. 299, November 2017
On the cover: Dive into the late Glen Campbell’s guitar legacy with a deep lesson.
- Mason Williams - “Classical Gas” (Reader’s Pick)
- Glen Campbell - “William Tell Overture”
- Antonio Carlos Jobim - “Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)”
- Joe Ely - “Cold Black Hammer”
Special Focus: Bossa Nova. How bossa nova and nylon-string guitar made a mark on popular music. Plus, learn how to play bossa nova patterns, and a roundup of traditional and contemporary budget nylon-string guitars.
Features: An interview with Texas song-writing royalty Joe Ely.
- 5 ways to strengthen your pinky
- Learn how to transpose
- Martin 0-18
- Tanglewood Java Series Parlor and Winterleaf Series OM
- Gretsch G9511 Single-0 Parlor
Plus: Ask the Expert: Why won’t my guitar stay in tune? A new fingerstyle documentary; Bruce Springsteen on Broadway; and Shelby Lynne collaborates with her sister Allison Moorer on a new album.