No. 229, January 2012
On the Cover: Pat Metheny. The jazz virtuoso talks about baritone guitars, the beauty of pop standards, and his all-acoustic album, What’s It All About.
- Mick Jagger and Keith Richards – "Dead Flowers"
- Paul Simon – "Homeward Bound"
- Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller – "Hound Dog"
Features: Songwriting and the Guitar. Twenty-one tips from Paul Simon, Elvis Costello, Joni Mitchell, and more on making the most of your instrument when writing songs; Gig Rig. What to put in your gig bag in order to make sure you’re covered when Murphy’s Law strikes; Essential Acoustic Albums of 2010.
Acoustic Guitar's editors and contributors review the past year's notable acoustic releases; Seven Complete Acoustic Guitar Rigs. From flatpickers at festivals to rockers on the lighted stage, we're all searching for our perfect package of gear. Here are seven complete acoustic setups to guide you on your quest; Richard Smith. The fingerstyle guitar champion talks about thumbpicking, developing speed, and learning by ear; José González/Junip. The Swedish-Argentine singer-songwriter brings his deft nylon-string guitar skills to his eclectic trio, Junip; Acoustic Lap Steels. A guide to contemporary Weissenborn-style guitars; Arranging Fiddle Tunes. How the world's top flatpickers transform square dance tunes into virtuoso guitar music.
- Make a Connection – Ten tips for engaging an audience
- Alternate Tunings in Acoustic Rock – Learn how bands like Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac adapted alternate tunings from folk and blues styles for their acoustic rock hits.
- Sixth Chords – Learn how to play and use this easy, expressive, and often overlooked family of chords.
- Breedlove American Series C25/Sme
- Recording King RP2-626-C
- Six New Tuners from Boss, Planet Waves, TC Electronic, Onboard Research, Korg, and Peterson.