No. 297, September 2017
On the Cover: Delve into the ups & downs of the deep Ozarks sound in this special focus on old-time music that soars above the hills and hollers.
- Ozarks traditional - “Tie-Hacker’s Joy”
- Paul Simon - “American Tune”
- John McCutcheon - “Y’all Means All”
- Tom Heyman - “Keep the River on Your Right”
Features: A letter from Cuba describes a journey across the Caribbean island where acoustic guitar music is omnipresent; inside the classical guitar orchestras craze and its unlikely epicenter, Arizona.
- Cuban rhythm
- 5 steps to learning tremolo picking and vibrato
- Play the blues like Kelly Joe Phelps
- How to write a bridge
- Martin CEO 8.2
- Journey OF660
- Recording King Dirty 30’s RPS-7 & RPS-9
- two rare 1934 Gibson L-5s
Plus: John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats talks acoustic guitar; Kathy Wingert reveals her unlikely path to lutherie; and how important is a loose bridge?