No. 302, February 2018
On the cover: Learn from the Best. An extensive and informative feature on Summer Guitar Getaways—guitar camps and workshops where players learn and hone skills to make them better musicians. Instructors ranging from Happy Traum and Jorma Kaukonen to Molly Tuttle, Frank Vignola, Bryan Sutton, and others, offer helpful advice on getting the most out your time at camp, and we list AG readers’ 25 top programs.
- George Harrison - “Within You Without You”
- Doc Watson - “Deep River Blues”
- Standard - “Avalon”
Features: The State of the Independent Music Store talks about how guitar retailers are adjusting to changing times; change your guitar’s “voice” by putting different strings on your instrument; advice for How to Shop for a Used Guitar, Pt. 2 from Mamie Minch.
- Learn to play like blues pioneer Charley Patton
- Expand your harmonic palette with moveable chords
- Use melodic tools to express chord changes
- Yamaha—the AC5R and the LJ16BC Bill Corgan
Music Reviews: New discs by Tommy Emmanuel & David Grisman and Julian Lage & Gyan Riley; lots more!