Learn the basics of music theory in these 13 easy-to-follow lessons designed specifically for guitarists. From tools like the circle of fifths and the C-A-G-E-D system, to tips on understanding chords and progressions, to lessons on reading tablature and standard notation, the teachers at Acoustic Guitar not only lay out the essential concepts but show them at work in real songs.
This comprehensive guide is available in two different formats:
Book & CD package: 70 pages with written instruction, notation and tab, plus accompanying audio available as a companion CD. Written by various AG masters.
PDF & Audio Download package: Downloadable version featuring the complete written instruction (including standard notation and tablature) from the book, plus accompanying audio instruction.
- Music Notation 101. By Andrew DuBrock.
- Tab Reading Tips. By David Hodge.
- Start Reading Music. By Sean McGowan.
- Decoding Chord Symbols. By Dan Apczynski.
- The Fundamentals of Time. By Ruth Parry.
CHORDS AND PROGRESSIONS
- Diatonic Chords. By Dan Apczynski.
- The Circle of Fifths. By Adam Perlmutter.
- The C-A-G-E-D System. By Dan Apczynski.
- Transposing Made Easy. By David Hodge.
SCALES AND MODES
- The Major Scale. By Andrew DuBrock.
- Minor Keys. By Andrew DuBrock.
- Pentatonic Scales. By Adam Perlmutter.
- Understanding Modes. By Adam Levy.