No. 314, February 2019
On the Cover: Beyond Rosewood—12 Mid-Priced Alt-Wood Guitars. Regulations and conservation issues have led many builders and buyers to turn to guitars made from non-restricted woods. We round up a dozen rosewood-free instruments in the popular $500-$1,500 price range.
- Joni Mitchell – “Both Sides Now”
- Jody Stecher arrangement – “The Wreck of the Old 97”
- A jazz-meets-punk arrangement – “When Johnny Comes Marching Home”
Features: Eric Bibb discusses his latest wide-ranging release, Global Griot; Inside Joni Mitchell’s unconventional tunings and techniques; Free Spirits: Three improvising guitarists discuss their craft and inspirations; Veteran rock journalist Ben Fong-Torres on the challenges of learning guitar as an adult of a certain age; an interview with Adam Buchwald, maker of Circle and Iris Guitars. Great Acoustics: An identical pair of Steve Klein L-45.7s; and more.
- The Basics – An introduction to the 12-bar blues form and its related scales
- Repair Not Recommended – How to know when it’s time to hang 'er on the wall
- Weekly Workout – A guide to the seven modes of the major scale
- Genzler Acoustic Array Mini amp
- Izotope Spire Studio wireless recording interface