No. 309, September 2018
On the Cover: Lutherie Shows! The new wave of custom-guitar shows and festivals have become hot destinations, places where guitar enthusiasts can meet builders, hear fine instruments played by superb players, play the instruments themselves, and learn all about the art of guitar making first hand.
- The Allman Brothers – “Little Martha”
- Ragtime classic – “Dill Pickle Rag”
- Francisco Tárrega – “Adelita” and “Lagrimas”
Features: Spain and the Guitar – Music journalist Mark Small traces the guitar’s long and somewhat uncertain path to Spain, and its evolution since; plus an interview with Adam Levin, an unlikely advocate for contemporary Spanish composers; Steve Dawson: on finding new textures for instrumentals; Sunny War: The Venice Beach busker discusses her latest bluesy release; The Power of 2: Three acoustic duos—Pharis & Jason Romero, Ryanhood, and Grant Gordy & Ross Martin—share tips and techniques for playing in pairs; Makers & Shakers: Todd Cambio of Fraulini Guitars.
- Get Rhythm, Part 2 – Guitarist Gretchen Menn further explains beats, meter, and more
- Dynamic Duets – How to make the most out of playing with two guitars
- Weekly Workout – Sharpen your steel-string fingerstyle approach through classical guitar studies
- National T-14 cutaway resonator
- Ortega QUANTUMloop looping and percussion stompbox
- Córdoba Mini II 14-fret small-scale guitar
- D’Addario String Height Gauge