Alternate Tunings Guitar Essentials
Unlock the secrets of playing and composing in alternate tunings with this unique lesson book and CD. Includes an introduction to alternate tunings and the players who've pioneered them, in-depth lessons in ten tunings, a special section on how to create custom tunings, and an extensive list of 60 tunings to try, with artist and song examples. An inspiring and complete guide to this enticing approach to the guitar. Includes:
- An Introduction to Alternate Tunings. By Gary Joyner.
- Understanding Open Tunings. By Paul Reisler.
- Finding Chords. By Paul Reisler.
- Dropped D, Double Dropped D, and G6. By Dylan Schorer.
- Low-C Tuning. By David Hamburger.
- Open D and Open G. By Steve James.
- Country Blues in Open C. By David Hamburger.
- The Magic of D A D G A D. By Al Petteway.
- Discovering Your Own Tunings. By Gary Joyner.
- Arranging Bach in an Alternate Tuning. By Dylan Schorer.
- New Approaches to Folk Melodies. By Scott Nygaard.
- Frailing in Alternate Tunings. By Steve Baughman.
- Strings, Setup, and Gizmos for Alternate Tunings. By Teja Gerken.
- 60 Tunings (and the Artists Who Love Them)
- Banks of the Ohio
- Spanish Fandango
- I Am a Pilgrim
- She Moved Through the Faire
- Morrison's Jig
- Prelude, Cello Suite No.1 by J.S. Bach
- Rovin' on a Winter's Night
- Robert's Serenade
"Alternate Tunings Guitar Essentials is, in book form, a heaping helping of what's good about the magazine [Acoustic Guitar]. It's the equivalent of many hours of private tutoring."
"A fun, comprehensive, well-prepared guide to alternate tunings' fertile ground."